Sunday, October 12, 2014

Why I Hate Wicked

Wicked is probably one of the most popular shows that has ever been preformed. Not only is the original cast legendary, but there are instagram accounts dedicated to them. I find the whole notion ridiculous. So here are more reason for my explanation of why I hate Wicked.

I didn't always hate the show. I was like every other little theatre kid who one day wanted to be Elphaba/Galinda/Fiyero. But that's just it. Wicked is a kid show. The target audience are those little ones who have just read or seen The Wizard of Oz and want to show this prequel to their children. So these kids grow up thinking that they too can be one of the characters one day. Cough cough, sorry kids, cough cough.

Let me take a second to discuss the book before going back to the musical. The book by the same name is most likely the most repulsive thing I have ever read. I advise any Wicked fan or theatre geek or anyone in general to never read this book. The book is dull, disgusting, and all together poorly written. How anyone read it and thought to make a musical out of it is beyond me.

Okay, back to the musical. Everyone has a show that they just don't like. Some don't like straight plays, some don't like anything by Webber, and some don't like shows with film or tv celebrities in them. Wicked happens to be the show that I just dislike, among a few others.

Let's get on to the technical aspects I don't like. The show is all spectacle and no substance. The plot line is shallow and so common. There never seems to be that much heart in the show besides the basic themes of love and friendship that is in nearly all shows.

Nessarose. If there is a character I hate more, they are not coming to mind. Just an udder of her name makes me mad. Who does she think she is? Why is she so special? I'm glad everyone hates her in the end. She's just a spoiled brat in my opinion.

At every audition, there is always someone who wants to sing something from Wicked. The music is so overdone that nobody wants to hear it anymore, which is a shame. Even though I find the music generic and too dramatic, it goes along with the show.

My heart belongs to old Broadway (Bring in Cosmo and the ensemble). The 20's was a time rich with fantastic pieces that capture my soul every time. I think that Wicked is just too contemporary for me. I would rather have to wait through two intermissions than too much of pop-y type music. I'm in all my glory right now as I'm currently in You Can't Take It With You as Mrs. Kirby.

The show may seem all frilly and cutesy, but it lacks real life connection that show needs now of days to continue to be popular. I feel like in ten years, Wicked won't be all that amazing as people now think it is. But that's just me.

Tell me what you think? Do you like Wicked, or do you agree? Comment below or ask us on Twitter.

Break legs,
Kendall

Want to be part of The Actor Problems team? Love to work with Instagram and edit photos? Let us know, and you could be able to run the official Actor Problems Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment